The photo I took does not do this dish justice. It's comforting and hearty. So perfect during the coming chilly evenings.
Another great thing about this recipe is that everything goes into the slow cooker in the mid morning and without any work a delicious dinner awaits.
Items to pick up from the grocery store:
- 2 19oz cannelini beans, rinse and drain
- 1 19oz garbanzo or fava beans, rinse and drain
- 1/4cup store bought basil pesto
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried italian seasoning
- 1 16oz package ready to serve plain polenta, cut 1/2 thick slices
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 8oz package finely shredded italian cheese blend
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup torn radicchio
In a large bowl combine beans, 2 tbsp pesto, onion, garlic and italian seasoning.
In a slow cooker layer half of bean mixture, half of polenta and half of cheese. Add remaining beans and polenta in the same order. Cover; cook on low heat 4 to 6 hours.
Add tomato, remaining cheese, spinach and radicchio.
Combine remaining pesto and 1 tbsp water. Drizzle pesto mixture on casserole. Let stand, uncovered for 5 minutes.